Friday, July 10, 2009

Rude Nurse

Hi,
Welcome to my new blog.
First off, I truly love my job. This has nothing to do with whether or not nursing is the best job in the world, or whether I am a disgruntled employee, etc. I'm not.
I have been called 'rude nurse' more times than I care to say.
I don't call it 'rude' (could be debated at times,,,,hello, I am human).
I have this reputation at work as being 'hard' or 'aggresive'. I call it assertive. I am not afraid to speak my mind, or say what is needed. I also do not take any shit from anyone.

Just for a little bit of history, I am a swing shift charge nurse. I have a great relationship with the nurses I work with. Out of 90 rn's, techs, clerks, etc, there are probably a handful that really don't like me.

As a charge nurse, I take care of my nurses, I stand up for them, I support them, I teach them if they ask for help, I tell them when they have done a great job. I do however again, do not take shit or tolerate any that may be lazy or late or 'rude'. but I call them on their shit. I like real time corrections, good or bad. I do not expect anything from them that I wouldn't do myself. I try to make a good working environment. I play music, I bring food. I tell dirty jokes, etc. we have fun on my shift. But, we have a serious job and take that job seriously. When push comes to shove, you want my team there, we will save your life, if it can be saved.

Which brings me to my blog. It will be a multitude of things, bitch fest, tips, good stories, bad stories, and of course RUDE on occasion.

My first rude story..........

THERE IS A YOUNG WOMAN THAT COMES IN QUITE FREQUENTLY FOR PSYCH ISSUES (A SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER, BTW) SHE HAD PRESENTED HERSELF THE THE ER EVERY DAY FOR APPROX 4 DAYS. ON THIS DAY THE WAIT IN THE ER IS APPROX 4 HOURS TO GET A BED. WE ARE TIRED AND VERY BUSY.

WE GET THE OVERHEAD THAT A PT IS DOWN IN THE PARKING LOT. I GRAB A CREW AND A WHEELCHAIR AND HEAD TO THE PARKING LOT. LAYING ON THE GROUND IS THIS WOMAN. I'M SURE I SAID THIS OUT LOUD. ''WHAT THE FUCK!! ______ WHAT ARE YOU DOING? PT ''MY STOMACH HURTS'' (KEEP IN MIND IT HAS HURT FOR 4 DAYS, AND AFTER THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO TELL HER WE CAN'T FIND ANYTHING WRONG) I SAY ''GET UP OFF THE GROUND AND GET IN THE WHEELCHAIR, I AM NOT PICKING YOU UP, YOUR BEHAVIOR IS INAPPROPRIATE'' I TURNED AND WALKED AWAY, THE CREW I SENT OUT THERE MADE SURE SHE GOT INTO A WC AND INTO THE ER, WHERE SHE WAITED APPROX 3-4 HOURS FOR A BED.
DOES THE STORY END THERE? HELL NO. THIS BITCH CALLED THE HEALTH DEPT AND JAHCO AND REPORTED ME AS ''RUDE NURSE'' OUR DEPT GOT TO SPEND 2 DAYS WITH STATE WANDERING AROUND OUR DEPT, OFFICIAL WRITE UPS ETC.

WAS I RUDE? MAYBE, HAD SHE BEEN SOMEONE I HAD NEVER SEEN BEFORE, OR KNOWN HER HISTORY, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT.
SHE IS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO CALL THE AMBULANCE FROM THE WAITING ROOM. PRETENDS TO NOT BREATHE ETC. YES WE HAVE 5150'D HER AND SHE IS BEING FOLLOWED FOR THESE ISSUES.

WAS I RUDE? NO, EXASPERATED, TIRED, SCARED FOR THE CARDIAC PTS IN THE WAITING ROOM, THAT'S WHAT I WAS, I HAVE NO PATIENCE FOR SHIT GAMES LIKE THIS.

thanks for listening, ill be back

No comments:

Post a Comment